What has you so afraid?
Updated: Jul 2, 2020
This question is one that I ask many of the people who have shared one dream or another with me where there has been no successs, so they may have thought. One question, “What has you so afraid?”
“Afraid of what?” Is mostly the response I receive. Sometimes it has been, “I don’t know…” yet, that’s not the truth. Most of the time we all know what we are afraid of. It takes up most of our mental real estate while leaving us with countless sleepless nights and even long uneventful days. So, what do we do about it?
I am always one to ask myself many of the same questions I would ask anyone dealing with similar life experiences. This question has been one that I have asked myself for years. It is one that I want and need to be 100% transparent on because it will allow me and others to push through and establish some resolve. What has me so afraid? Listed below are five of my own personal answers. Maybe you can find yourself somewhere in one of them.
1. Fear of failure – when you have been successful at so many things in life, the one or two times you don’t have success brings about this fear. Of the unknown – or the impossible. Yet, I am finding the flip side of this to be true…some things I have failed so many times at, I’m getting good at it. I have had both. Some major successes. Along with some major failures. Not getting stuck in the failures is what I’m learning leads to more success.
2. Not knowing how to handle success – I know you’re thinking…WHAT??? Yup, success has a high responsibility attached to not just achieving it, but maintaining it, hence so many one-hit wonders. Handling success takes discipline. You have to perfect your craft. This is why this blog is so important. I had to do something about my dream. This is the beginning. Thank you for being here with me.
3. The unknown – I know. How can you be afraid of what you don’t even know to be afraid of? Paralysis of analysis. I have thought of every which way things could go wrong that the possibility of them going right gets further and further away from me. Sometimes, if not all times, you have to do it afraid!!! It just may turn out way different than what you expected. Take a chance on yourself. I believe your worth it!
4. Not having support – sometimes the ones you start with won’t be the ones you finish with. It’s okay. This one has and will always be a major lesson for me. It has taught me relationship building skills like none other. In some of my loneliest times I have received my greatest inspiration. It’s just something about the tough times in life. They really bring out the best in you. I didn’t think I would ever say it. Life will send you the support system you need right when you need it. You just have to be open to it.
5. Hard work – believe it or not success takes a lot of hard work. That’s why everyone can’t say that they have really been “successful”. Many people think that you don’t have to work hard to get here. This is totally untrue!!! The most successful people will share with you that their success took a lot of hard work. I am one of them. Many times my definition of success was so off kilter that I missed it. I didn’t think what I was working on was successful – since I’m so hard on myself. Yet, I have learned that hard work pays off AND it yields to success. So, don’t give up!
These are just a few of my answers to the question initially posed. Take some time and think about your own answers…”What has you so afraid?” You know I can’t end this blog moment without asking for your feedback. I love hearing from you. Leave me a comment, and I will be sure to respond. Do me a favor. Take out your journal, write the question – then take some time getting really honest in your response. Better yet, lets Journal the Journey together.